Thursday, February 28, 2019

October Recap

I've covered some of the things we did in October in some earlier posts, but there was a lot more!

I started off the month by flying up to NJ for lunch...

...then got to hike Hawksbill the next day.

Mark and I had wanted to get new kitchen counters for a while, and in October, we finally did. This was before...

...and this was after. It looks so much better!

The counters are recycled glass; they look really cool (especially when the sun hits them).

I was still keeping up with all of my plants. Some lithops seeds I had planted a few weeks earlier started to sprout!

One of my newer plants had some really nice colors. (Spoiler: this one died. Oops.)

Zach came to visit and we played a whole bunch of Overcooked. It's always a fun change of pace to play with three people.

We also played a new random game I found at Walmart called Soggy Doggy. You make your way around the board, either squirting more water on the soggy doggy or pushing a button and hoping that he doesn't shake that water all over you and send you back to the start line. It was pretty funny.

We didn't have as many figs as normal this year because it was so darn wet, but Mark pulled the last of what we did have off the tree and dehydrated them. Maybe we'll have more sun next year so they can actually ripen.

I planted a few more plants...

...and added them to my collection. I kind of wish I had a bigger window.

We had tacos for dinner one night.

I'd been kind of pulling my hair out at work, helping to organize a flight of warbirds over Arlington National Cemetery. The day finally came, the weather cooperated, and they were able to get the flight done. We made them fly over the TRACON on their way back to Culpeper.   :)

There were a bunch of T-6s in the front, and two DC-3s in the back. It was neat to see, and even better, FINALLY off my to-do list.

When I got home that afternoon, there was a box full of pretty things waiting for me from Mountain Crest Gardens. A few of the plants were for Zach, but most of them were for me. Oops.

The next day was the Culpeper AirFest; I was working it again as an exhibitor for ATC. It was a bit cloudy in the morning during setup...

...but the weather cleared up beautifully in the afternoon. One of my favorite glider pilots was performing; I first saw him at Oshkosh, and I love that he comes out here, too!

They had a bunch of warbird flybys, too.

I spent a little bit of time wandering around the ramp after the show wrapped up; there were some pretty neat things on display.


Mark's mom and Granny came down for a visit shortly after the AirFest. We spent a day antiquing in Fredericksberg, and spent some time playing games at home. Wembles made sure that Granny didn't cheat.  :)

After they left for home, Mark and I were able to hike Mary's Rock...

...and I got around to potting my new plants.

This wound up being one of my favorite new arrangements; I'm looking forward to watching it grow!

This is the flight data position at work; when pilots call us for a clearance, this is basically where we answer that phone. My area always likes to get festive in the fall; one of the guys I work with usually picks up a couple of the most ridiculous squash he can find. I love the phone laying on the counter because the squash is hanging in the phone holder.   :)

I caught a really pretty sunrise one morning after I got home from the mid...

...and I started to work on this year's Christmas card NOT at the last minute for a change!

I got to spend a day working at the ATC table at a really cool event up at Leesburg Airport. They bus in a bunch of high schoolers and have all sorts of aviation companies and career fields available at an expo. There are motivational speakers, and they give away a TON of scholarships. It was really cool to be a part of it, and I'm hoping to make it back again next year!

I finished a puzzle I'd been working on, and got it put away just in time for our next visitors.

Caeli and Terra came to visit. I somehow didn't get any other pictures from when they were here, but we had a really good time playing video games, drinking tasty drinks, and eating potato pizza (pictured here). They live in California and don't get back to the East Coast very often, so it's always nice to spend time with them when they're in town!

Last year, Mark had won a frozen turkey in the Turkey Trot. We finally got around to cooking it!

It turned out really well.   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment