Friday, September 20, 2019

December 3rd: Amman to Paris

Neither one of us slept well that night; I had a really sore throat and my chest was super congested, and Mark was up sick a fair amount himself. At any rate, we got up early, had a pretty meh breakfast at the hotel (the highlight of which was coffee so bad that I didn't even finish it, which is saying a lot), checked out, and eventually made our way to the airport (thanks to a confusing shuttle). We waited in line foreeeeeever to check in, then waited in line foreeeeeever for security, then I had all of my electronics picked apart and halfway disassembled just in case, then we finally got to the gate. I figured I'd go to the bathroom before boarding; after waiting in line for that, I finally got to the stall and found it was a squat toilet. With that, I was done.

Goodbye, Jordan! You were absolutely incredible until I tried to leave. (And even at that, and with a few subsequent trips under my belt, Jordan is still easily in my top 3 favorite places I've ever visited.)

We flew Royal Jordanian, and the seat was quite claustrophobic. I spent the time watching movies, eating lunch, and trying not to think about how the back of the seat in front of me was oh-so-close to my nose.

We said goodbye to the Middle East...

...and hello to Europe. A little while later, we started our descent into Paris.

After spending the last week and a half in the desert, it was kind of weird to see low clouds again!

Getting through the airport at Paris was almost the polar opposite of our airport experience in Amman. Customs was super easy, our bags popped right out almost as soon as we got to baggage claim, and shortly after that, we were on a bus to the city center.

Bonjour, Paris!   :)

We took the bus most of the way to our hotel, then got an Uber for the rest of the trip. Mark had found a really cool hotel in a fun neighborhood, and our room was basically a mini apartment.

Sunset, as seen from our room. We hung out for a little while, then decided to explore a little bit.

Our first stop was Le Roi de Pique; it was a small cafe a short walk from our hotel. We each got a glass of wine and hung out, watching people walk (or scooter) by outside.

We went to Glou next. We started our with some (more) wine, and a super tasty burrata at the bar.

I thought the bar looked pretty cool.   :)

We were able to get a table after we finished our wine and cheese, so we had (even more) wine and dinner there, too. We were pretty tired after dinner, so we went back to the room, got ready for bed, and promptly passed out. It had been a long day, and we had another one in store for us, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment