Thursday, September 11, 2014

Throwback Thursday, Week Thirty Seven

So, I originally had a different picture picked out for today's post (which you'll now see next week, instead), then I remembered what day it is and thought I'd pick something more appropriate.



I took both of these pictures in December 2001. My then-boyfriend and I spent a weekend in New York City and did a lot of fun touristy stuff: saw a Broadway show, had dinner at Tavern on the Green, went to the top of the Empire State Building, checked out the window displays at Macy's, and saw the tree at Rockefeller Center. And we eventually made our way downtown to see this, too.

The attacks had only been three months earlier and they were still cleaning up. The facade of one of the towers (seen in the first picture; I think it was from the South Tower) was still standing, and there was still wreckage piled several stories high. They were using cranes to move some of the wreckage and had trucks spraying water over everything to try to keep the dust down. There were also hundreds of pictures posted on the fences surrounding the area...everything from 'Missing' signs to memorials and letters. I'm not even going to try to put it all into words. It was just sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment