Saturday, December 6, 2014

Throwback Thursday, Week Forty Nine

I know this is a few days late, but you can thank Southwest Airlines for that. I'll have more about that in a later post, but for now, here's this week's picture.

September 5, 2009

I took this picture somewhere over Missouri. Tom and I were flying the C120 I had just bought from Kansas to New Jersey, and somewhere right around here my total flight time clicked over to 1,000 hours. I recently read a short story about someone flying a 1929 biplane from the East Coast to California, and it instantly brought me back to this flight. The long hours spent flying low, measuring your progress by slowly passing cars on the highways below (or, if the winds are really bad, watching the cars slowly pass you). Not knowing where you'll end up at the end of the day when you climb into the plane in the morning, and the quiet ticking of the engine cooling when you've just shut down after the last leg of the day. The invariably friendly people you find at small airports across the country. And doing the entire thing in an unfamiliar plane that you're trying to befriend through tentative nudges of the flight controls (and the occasional atrocious landing when she lets you know that no, that's not how it's done). I'd love to do another flight like that someday.   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment