Sunday, October 18, 2015

Shenandoah Doggy Adventure, Part One

Since I haven't been able to fly much lately, I've been trying to use my time to check some non-flying things off my to-do list. One of those things was spending a night in Shenandoah National Park, and a couple weeks ago Mark and I did just that.

It turns out you can get pet-friendly rooms, so we booked a room at Skyland and brought the doggies. This was our view.   :)

 After we checked in, unpacked the car, and got a bit settled, we took the dogs for a hike. Miller's Head was a short walk from our room, so we followed the road out to the trail.

Doggy adventure! Wembles had never been hiking before but she seemed to really enjoy it. Giz and Wembles led the way, and Bacon hung a bit further back, switching between me and Mark as we walked.

 It was only a 0.8 mile walk to the overlook, which seemed to be a good distance for our short-legged doggies.

 The view out to the southwest was really nice; it was late afternoon and the shadows on the ridges were really pretty.

I had Mark get a picture of me with Bacon...

 ...then I took one of him with Wembles.

 He didn't want to leave Giz out; the wiener dogs didn't know what to make of Giz being so high in the air.   :)

A less-crazy picture of Mark and Giz.

 We enjoyed the view for a few more minutes while the dogs drank some water, then eventually packed everything up and started hiking back.

 I was pretty impressed with how the wiener dogs held up to some of the rockier parts of the hike back; they were pretty good at finding the easiest way to get over the rocks.

We eventually made it back to the road. Bacon was starting to slow down a little bit, so I'm sure she was happy when we got back to the room.

 Wembles, though, couldn't understand why everybody else was so tired.

 Since our room had such a great view, I wanted to hang out and watch the sun go down.

There were a couple chairs on a small patio behind our room, so we hung out outside while we waited.

 It was really pretty.   :)

After it got dark, we left the dogs in the room and walked down to the dining room for dinner. It was kind of funny; apparently the kitchen was in the weeds, other people were really grumpy, and the dining room was kind of chaos. It did take a little while to get our food, but it was pretty tasty and Mark and I had a good time laughing at the people around us before heading back to the room.

We spent the rest of the night hanging out in the room with the dogs and watching random TV. I tried to take some night pictures, but didn't realize until later that I set some things wrong on my camera and they turned out too dark. Oh well, lesson learned. We still had a really nice day!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment