Tuesday, November 15, 2016

October 18th: Courthouse Butte Loop Trail

Rather than turning around and heading back to the car after finishing up with Bell Rock, I kept going until I reached the Courthouse Butte Loop Trail. I had walked around one big rock formation...I might as well walk around the other! 

The trail branched off to the side, and almost as soon as I took the turn I stopped seeing other hikers.

They were missing out...the views were great!





This was about the extent of the wildlife I saw along the way...little lizards.

It took a little while, but I eventually got to the far side of Courthouse Rock.


This cactus looked crazy; it was really tall and thin.

It didn't take long to hike out of the shadow and back into the sun.

Rabbit Ears is the rock formation on the right.

There was really no way to get lost on the hike (just walk around the big rocks until you wind up back where you started), so I had plenty of time to enjoy the view.




I eventually came to the Big Park Loop Trail, and took the turn to follow it back to the parking lot. I started to see a lot of other hikers again when I got here.

The picture doesn't really do it justice; Courthouse Rock is pretty big.

The trail had a lot of nice views, and I eventually made it back to the parking lot. It had been a great hike! I stopped at the gas station on the way back to top off the rental car, then went back to Timmy and Tara's.

Timmy and Tara were just finishing up with work when I got back and we still had a little time before sunset, so Timmy offered to take me for a ride...

 
...in his 1967 Corvette Stingray. I'm no fool - I wasn't about to turn that down!   :)


We spent a little while cruising around some neighborhoods and enjoying the view; it was a lot of fun. We eventually went back to the house, I grabbed a quick shower, and we drove out to Jerome for dinner. Jerome is a former mining town in the mountains. It was dark by the time we got there, but with how high up it sits I'd imagine it would have awesome views of the valley. We grabbed some burgers for dinner (and laughed as Canyon tried - and immediately spit out - pickles), then headed back to Sedona. We hung out for a little while before heading to bed. As much as I wanted to stay longer, I'd be heading back home in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment