Sunday, July 30, 2017

May 24th: Time to Go Home

I didn't sleep the greatest for our last night in Italy, but that didn't change when our alarm went off. As nice as it would have been to stay longer, it was time to head home.

We did sneak up to the roof again for one last peek at the view. The city looked so nice and peaceful in the early morning sun.

We took one last look at the Colosseum in the distance, grabbed some snacks from the breakfast area downstairs, finished packing, and checked out. We walked the short distance to the Termini train station, then took the train back to the airport, checked in, boarded the flight, and were on our way.

We got to taxi past these guys on our way to the runway. I've been an air traffic controller for over eight years and worked these planes countless times, but it took a trip to Italy to finally see Air Force One in person.

We didn't have to taxi very long before it was our turn for takeoff. I waved a sad goodbye to the coast as we climbed out. Goodbye, Italy...I'll definitely be back again!

The flight was scheduled to be between eight and nine hours long, so I passed most of the time watching a string of movies back to back. At one point I looked out the window and noticed that we were just coming up on Monaco and the French Riviera. It was fun to see it from the air since we had spent some time there a few years ago.

I did take a short break from watching movies to grab lunch. Really, for airplane food, it wasn't bad. I spent the rest of the flight eating snacks when they offered them and watching more movies (I watched four by the time we landed), and we wound up landing earlier than we expected, which was a nice surprise. Overall, Italy had been a great trip...I can't wait to go back again someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment