Wednesday, October 23, 2019

March 5th: No, Really, Eat ALL The Things

I was somehow hungry when I woke up, despite all the food I had the day before, so we got dressed and made our way out to find some breakfast.

A few blocks from our room, we found Granny's Tacos. We ordered a few, grabbed some condiments, then made a quick stop for coffee before heading back to the room to inhale everything.

Mmm...breakfast tacos. They were so good. We ate them and watched Price is Right. It was a nice way to start the day.   :)

After breakfast, we grabbed an Uber and made our way to Mount Bonnell to check out the view...

...then walked down to Mayfield Park to check out the gardens.

It was really nice to see some flowers already in bloom!

We also found some peacocks wandering around the paths.

We made our way over to the Betty and Edward Marcus Sculpture Garden next. It was really cool following the path along the water and coming across different pieces.



There were definitely some interesting things to see!

After wandering all over the sculpture garden, we grabbed an Uber back into town. We eventually found the Russell Fine Art gallery, which was also full of really cool things to see.

One of their featured artists had some of the coolest pieces I've seen. Gil Bruvel makes 3D pieces with wooden blocks; I've never seen anything like it.

We actually liked his work so much that we bought this piece! It's hanging in our house.   :)

If I had a bigger bank account, I probably would have bought all of his pieces. They were so cool to look at.


For some reason this one reminds me of cereal in milk.

We eventually tore ourselves away from the gallery...

...and walked down to the park by the river. There was a really neat view of the skyline from one of the bridges.

On the other side of the bridge was something very delicious: Terry Black's BBQ. My goodness. Everything was incredible (especially the brisket). Maybe it's a good thing I don't live in Austin; I would have to buy bigger pants.

They smoke everything inside this building. It smelled incredible. And when our Uber driver picked us up, he asked us where we had just been and when we told him, he said we smelled incredible hahaha.

We took an Uber back to the room and hung out for a little bit, before taking another Uber to another one of my must-see places:

VooDoo Donuts. I wasn't about to turn down the chance to try one! And man, was it worth it; this was the one I really wanted and they didn't have any already made. When I asked the girl at the counter if they happened to have any, she said she could make one for me right then. It was completely covered in mini m&ms and SO GOOD. Maybe the best donut I've ever had.

Austin has a pretty good live music scene, so we walked down to Elephant Room for a drink and caught a bit of a jazz group. After that we tried to go to a nearby speakeasy, but there was some weird event thing going on so we moved on in search of something less crazy.

We wound up at Peche, which wound up being one of my favorite stops of the trip. We wound up with a really cool bartender...

...plus they had some really good drinks. This one was made with yellow chartreuse. And their mac and cheese was out of this world; I wish I had a picture of it, but we inhaled that so fast I don't think I grabbed one.

Our last stop of the night was Roosevelt Room, which was also very cool and tasty with another great bartender.

We grabbed a couple more drinks, then eventually got an Uber back to the room and passed out. I can't believe we ate and drank so much hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment