Saturday, January 12, 2013

Flying, Cake, and Culture

In late November I got the chance to go up with our Chief CFI to review spins. She hadn't done them in a while and wanted to review them a bit before trying to teach them to someone else. Since I love all things inverted (or semi-inverted), I jumped at the chance to ride along!

Normally you wouldn't want to see quite so much ground out of the windshield...but then again, it's not often you deliberately spin a 172. We had a hard time keeping it in the spin; I think the most we got out of it was one and a half turns. It was still a lot of fun, though!

My birthday is December 1st, and this year I was supposed to run a half marathon in Annapolis. Thanks to a hamstring/groin injury that even now isn't fully fixed, I spent a decent bit of November and December in some serious pain, so I deferred my race entry to next year. I still had the day off, though, so I decided to make good use of it...

...and Zach came down for a quick visit! We put him to work helping with the Christmas lights. I had hoped to take him flying but the visibility was pretty cruddy all day, so we hung out at home, walked downtown for lunch, and spent the afternoon cleaning out my closet. I know, not the most exciting thing, but what Zach got done in an afternoon would have taken me a month to do!

We went out to dinner in Culpeper and managed to find a fairly decent sushi place (which made my night!), then stopped to get our Christmas tree(s). Yes, the dogs got their own tree again this year. After dinner it was back home for some cake and cookies (thanks, Mom!) and ice cream, and we spent the rest of the night setting up the trees and watching various Christmas specials.

I spent a good bit of the next few days in some serious pain from the hamstring/groin thing, but after seeing a doctor and a chiropractor I could at least sit again. Good thing, since right after seeing the chiropractor we hopped in the car to head to the Kennedy Center. I had never been to a ballet, and when I saw that Ballet West (from Breaking Pointe, if anyone's seen that series) was going to be performing The Nutcracker I figured it would be neat to see.

I didn't take any pictures of the ballet (I highly doubt you're allowed to), but during intermission I noticed how pretty the ceiling was. Ooo, sparkly...

My last flight of 2012 was a cross country with one of my students. We were planning to go to 2G4 - Garrett County, in MD, but the weather wasn't cooperating so we went to KXSA (Tappahannock, VA) instead. Oh well...a shorter cross country is better than no cross country, and we both got another stamp in our VA airport passports.

No comments:

Post a Comment