Friday, February 8, 2013

Super Duper Macro

A couple weeks ago I woke up and it was snowing. I figured it was the perfect chance to try to get some more macro snowflake pictures.

I try to use my car windows and windshield for these pictures; since they're already cold, too, the snowflakes don't melt when they land. I ran right outside (before coffee even!) to try to get some good pictures before it stopped snowing.


After a couple minutes of using my macro lens I suddenly remembered a technique I'd played with in the past: reverse lens macro. You can do this with the lens that comes with the camera (usually something along the lines of an 18-55mm); manually set your shutter speed, take the lens off the front of the camera, flip it around backward so that the front of the lens is now up against the camera body, and hold it all in place (awkwardly) with your hands. You lose the autofocus so you have to move the entire camera back and forth to focus. I was doing this in my pajamas with big fluffy boots, leaned up against my car; I'm guessing my neighbors think I'm nuts now.

It sure does make a difference, though.   :)





I can't wait until it snows again...I can't wait to try to get more of these!


No comments:

Post a Comment