Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A Quick (Snowy) Trip to Shenandoah

Normally I'd be posting my weekly Picture of the Day update, but we're having some work done on our house this week and the cord I need to upload my pictures is somewhere in my office upstairs. Since the guys putting new insulation in our attic today have a good bit of the upstairs blocked off (as well as basically everything except the guest bedroom and bath and the room upstairs with the pull out sofa), I can't get to my office until they're done. No worries, though...this means I can catch up on some of the posts I've been meaning to get to for a while now!

In late March, Mark and I took Bacon and Giz up to Skyline Drive. I had seen that it was pretty snowy up there while I flew with a student, so I told him we should go check it out.

It was pretty.   :)

We stopped at an overlook to check out the snow. Some of the drifts were about a foot deep...the dogs had fun jumping around in them.

Bacon especially enjoyed jamming her beak into the snow and digging little holes.

We hopped back in the car and started driving south. In some spots, the water trickling down the rocks on the side of the road froze into little waterfalls.

We made our way to Big Meadows, and stopped to let the dogs run around again.

It was a little breezy. And by a little, I mean a LOT.

That didn't bother Bacon one bit, though. She loved jumping around in the snow so much that she started purposely rolling around in it, and at one point was scooting along the ground, trying to mash snow onto her ears. There were little snowballs stuck all over her fluff.

After letting the dogs run around for a little while, we hopped back in the car and started heading back out of the park.

We stopped at a couple more overlooks on the way back. The colors were fantastic...this one is straight off the camera! When I flew again a couple days later, it looked like the snow had already melted, so I think we timed our trip just right. I can't wait until it warms up a bit so we can start hiking again!

No comments:

Post a Comment